This course is about the traditional framework of an international commercial contract and some of the main clauses that always appear in this type of agreement.
The focus is on the shape that an international commercial contract will typically take and how lawyers use templates in order to create new agreements for their clients. The course also looks at some of the most important clauses a lawyer will find in a contract template and provides an explanation of some key vocabulary. The topics of using AI in the contract drafting process and the style of English used in international agreements are also discussed.
Course access: this online legal English course will be available for 40 days after purchase.
At the end of this course in English for lawyers, you will know more about:
- the importance of the skill of contract drafting to a lawyer’s employability and the basic structure of an international commercial contract
- the cover page of a typical contract and the necessity for a table of contents in contracts drafted in English, the date of the contract versus the effective date, the best practice in drafting various dates, and how the UK and the USA vary
- using contract templates to draw up agreements
- traditional contract language versus a more modern style
- drafting key information about the parties to the contract and the background to the contract and the use of the term ‘whereas’ in this section
- an introduction to the role of artificial intelligence in the contract drafting process
- the defined terms section of a contract and how to use defined terms throughout the agreement
- the operative provisions, contractual warranties, a warranty concerning title, the meaning of encumbrance, and a ‘free of encumbrance’ warranty
- the importance and potential cost of indemnity and the differences between indemnity and the payment of damages
- boilerplate clauses, schedules to an agreement, the signature block
- some key legal English dictionary terms that are essential to practising commercial law at an international level
Great Practice for ALL THREE LEVELS of the TOLES exams in legal English.